Our Layers of Identities
A few weeks ago, I was at an event in an artist’s studio, and I bumped into two CNH parents. As we were talking, I mentioned something about being an artist. They were so surprised to hear that I was a sculptor! This moment reminded me of the many layers of identities that we all carry, and how we might reveal one layer in one place and another layer in a different place. My entire life, my artist-identify has always been in the foreground of other identities — the layer that is ever-present and never needs revealing. This moment, at a goodbye party in an artist’s studio, I realized this is no longer true. I also realized that my studio has laid dormant through most of my tenure as principal; therefore, so has that layer of my identity.
This past weekend, I reconnected with my core identity as an artist and an arts educator with three days surrounded by thousands of art educators from around the world interested in deepening their pedagogical practice. From seeing great art to participating in powerful presentations to connecting with old colleagues and friends, the weekend fed my soul. I hope that, in this 28th week of the school year, you are able to engage with something that feeds your soul and re-activates a layer of your identity lain dormant for too long. Have a great week!
An Open Invitation: Walk with Shyla Around Lake Montebello
I wonder about the teachers and families that I engage with every day, and I wonder which layers of their identities remain invisible to me. I invite you to walk with me around Lake Montebello, the last Sunday of every month from 4:00-5:00. As we walk, we can get to know each other in a new way and possibly reveal layers of our identities to one another. And, if that doesn’t feel comfortable, we can simply walk and talk about the school. I’d love to get to know you in a new and different way!
The dates will be March 31, April 28, and May 26, all Sundays, all at 4:00 pm. We will meet in the Montebello School parking lot right next to the playground by the lake.
Welcome to the Third Trimester!
Today marks the first day of the third trimester. There are so many wonderful field experiences, student learning museums, and project studies that will engage our young ones through to the end of the year.
Important Dates Ahead!
- March 20: Zeke’s Coffee Fundraiser, order deadline
- March 20: Kindergarten Motion Museum, 10 -12
- March 21: Square 1 Art Fundraiser, order deadline
- March 21: MICA AFTERSCHOOL CLUB CANCELED–Please collect students at 3:15
- March 21-22: Middle School Pre-Columbian Civilizations Gallery (see below)
- March 22: All-School featuring 3rd Grade, 2:40, Auditorium (see below)
- March 22: Open Mic permission slip deadline
- March 25: Lobby Night in Annapolis (see below)
- March 27-29: Sixth Grade to North Bay
- March 27: Open Mic auditions, 1:00 – 2:30
- March 28-29: Drumming and Storytelling workshops for Kindergarten through 2nd Grade with artist, Baba Jamal
- March 29: Report Cards mailed home
- April 3: Mandatory Open Mic Rehearsal for those students participating, 1:00 -2:30
- April 5: Final Open Mic, 2:30, Auditorium (see below)
- April 15 – April 22: SCHOOL CLOSED for Spring Break — School resumes on Tuesday, April 23
- April 29 – May 4: 8th Grade to Puerto Rico
Kindergarten Motion Museum
This Wednesday, March 20, from 10:00-12:00, the Kindergarten class will host their Motion Museum where they will share what they learned about gravity and about how things move.
Middle School Pre-Columbian Civilizations Gallery
6th, 7th, and 8th-grade students will share what they have learned about Pre-Columbian Civilizations in the Western Hemisphere this Thursday and Friday. Dates and times are below:
- 6th Grade – Friday, March 22, 12:40-1:30
- 7th Grade – Thursday, March 21, 1:40-2:30
- 8th Grade – Thursday, March 21, 9:40-10:30
Since MICA is on Spring Break this week (jealous!), they are not available to teach the class on Thursday after school. We will resume the MICA Art Club next Thursday, March 28, 3:30-4:45. If your child is in the club, please make arrangements for them to go home at 3:15 this Thursday.
Baltimore Lobby Night in Annapolis, March 25: Your Participation is Needed!
On Monday, March 25, the Baltimore Education Coalition is sponsoring a Baltimore Lobby Night in Annapolis. This is an opportunity to speak with our legislators and to push their efforts on adequate and equitable education funding. We will be joining education and community groups from throughout Baltimore. We are looking for ten people to attend! Please email Mike (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you are interested and available.
Reminder: New Late Pick-Up Policy
This is a friendly reminder that if you are late picking up your child from school or from an after-school club, you need to come into the lobby and sign them out. Thank you!